10 PCS Moving Tips to Move on a Budget
1.One of the easiest ways for a PCS move on a budget is to put a plan into place. Planning ahead can save you both time and money in the long run. Researching your new location can also be a great way to save money.
2. Decide as soon as possible if you will have a do-it-yourself move, partial military move or full military move. If you choose to schedule a military move, be sure you don't go over the weight allowance for the move.
3. Take the opportunity to go through your old things. Sell things you don't need for extra cash you can use toward the move.
4. Early real estate planning can make moving more affordable. If you know which home you will be moving to, you can save money on hotel costs waiting for home preparations.
5. Be sure to close out all accounts before you move. This will ensure you don't have any outstanding fees that can accumulate over time.
6. Take the opportunity of moving to a new area to look for lower insurance and other financial rates. If you plan early, you will have time to compare and choose the option that best works for your budget.
7. Plan for things you can't plan for. No matter how carefully you budget, things happen that are out of your control. Make sure there is a little bit of wiggle room in your budget so one unforeseen event doesn't ruin all of your hard planning.
8. Don't forget that many moving expenses are covered by the military. Remember to save all of your receipts and be sure you understand the restrictions and rule about which of your moving expenses will be covered.
9. If possible, do everything you can to avoid using credit cards. The cost of credit cards can quickly add up. Careful planning and budgeting can help you avoid having to rely on credit cards to cover moving costs.
10. Build moves into your regular budget. Moving is often part of military life, so saving for moves as part of your regular budget can help make moving much less of a financial strain.